Thursday, February 11, 2010

Report from Valencia...

Here is a report we just received from Stephen Orsini who is on-site at Valencia and staying with Tim Smythe of Core Builders / BMWO (builder of DOGzilla)...

Well, Tim and I are back in the apartment here at 5:30 pm. I am just rip-shit angry and Tim is wishing he could just end the agony. It was a great day for sailing in Valencia. At 10:00 am we had a nice 10 knot breeze, building a little, sunny, blue sky--- but Alinghi never even got their sailing gear on. The race committee postponed to about 12:30 pm and then cancelled based on the sea state, which was a lazy long swell of maybe a meter to a meter and a half, but you could not see it from the shore. The race committee, however, said it was too much wave action and there were shifts in the wind over the 40 mile course.

Shifts on a 40 mile course are going to be hard to escape. A small rolling swell out on the sea? Apparently the Swiss designers were not told there could actually be waves on the sea! What Alinghi wants is 5 knots of breeze and pan flat sea, otherwise they won't come out to play.

On the other hand, at least everyone got to see Alinghi in action and what BMW Oracle has had to deal with since 2007. February 12 is the next scheduled race day, but the preliminary forecast is for a front coming in. We will try to give you a forecast by tomorrow afternoon Valencia time. Do not hold your breath.


Orsnini


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. Please stay on track. If you'd like to become one of our authors, pleas contact info@anacortesyachtclub.org.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.